Many of Germany’s most successful and innovative franchise systems, and some of the world’s largest franchisors, rely on us to help them grow their brands successfully in markets throughout the world.
Our franchise practice ranks tops among national and international leaders in franchise law. For over 20 years we have been advising and representing franchisors throughout the life cycle of franchise systems, from conception, the piloting phase, and the subsequent national rollout to globalization. We coordinate the legal aspects while simultaneously focusing on your strategic, commercial, and operational goals.
Our emphasis is on providing practical and sound advice; we are known for taking a proactive and responsive approach with our clients.
Our attorneys have insight into over 100 franchise systems and the full spectrum of services and products. Our clients have everything from only one pilot operation to thousands of outlets, including engaging in global trade through online operations.
While the majority of our clients are franchisors, we also advise and represent multi-brand operators, multi-unit franchisees, area developers, as well as master franchisees, investors, and joint ventures.
- Contract management: draft and structure contracts necessary for franchising operations, in particular franchise contracts and subsequent master franchise agreements, territory development agreements, and multi-unit contracts as well as joint venture contracts
- Outsourced legal department: on-going legal and strategic support of franchises
- Internationalization: prepare and support franchisors with their international expansion; support foreign franchise systems who enter the German and European markets
- Pre-contract protection: Draft pre-contract disclosure documents (national and international) as well as non-disclosure agreements, option agreements, and reservation agreements
- Claim Management: monitor, warn, and enforce system standards; judicial enforcement or defense of claims, also before arbitral panels and via mediation proceedings
- Know-how protection: register and protect trademarks, patents, domain names, protect copyrights, websites, and other intellectual property rights
- Information Technology and Privacy: software licensing agreements, information technology acquisitions, licensing and out-sourcing, Internet and e-commerce matters, privacy and records retention
- Marketing and distribution: packaging and labeling, regulatory matters, advertising, competition law, antitrust law, general terms and conditions, and consumer protection
- Outsourced legal department of the German subsidiary of a NYSE-listed corporation with $3.5 billion in revenues
- Long-term permanent counsel to several “Franchisor of the Year” awards in different sectors such as system gastronomy, optometry, fashion, etc.
- Advising a franchisor with over 20,000 locations worldwide
- Advising several automotive groups on franchise law issues
- European Counsel to an Australian multi-brand group with over 2,500 outlets worldwide