In the energy sector, we advise primarily regional energy suppliers (electricity, natural gas, water, and district heating) and companies that provide related energy services. We also advise and represent investors in the energy sector.
Our experience in the energy sector includes preparing and negotiating commercial and technical management contracts, joint venture agreements, and consortium agreements (joint network operating companies).
We are also involved in planning, realizing, and implementing renewable energy projects in the biomass, hydroelectric, wind, solar and geothermal energy fields. Additionally, we advise clients on real estate matters, as well as on general contractor agreements, leases, fuel supply agreements, heat supply agreements, and contracting. Finally, we advise and represent management boards, managing directors, and supervisory boards of energy sector companies.
Corporate law often plays a significant role in energy-sector projects. In this regard, we advise on acquisitions and (re-)structuring of project companies, M&A transactions, corporate transformations, and IPO’s. This advice includes legal and tax due diligence.
As for regulatory matters, we advise our clients on Germany’s Renewable Energies Act, Biomass Electricity Sustainability Ordinance, Biomass Ordinance, Renewable Energies Heat Act, and the Waste Wood Ordinance.
As for litigation in the energy sector, we represent our clients before civil and administrative courts, arbitral panels, and we also negotiate out-of-court settlements.
We represent well-known large and medium-sized companies from the energy sector. For example, we have:
- Represented a regional energy supply group on various corporate and commercial law disputes, including vis-à-vis joint network operating companies and data center companies as well as on consortium agreements, commercial and technical management agreements, compensation claims, etc.
- Provided competition law advice to two regional energy suppliers, in each case concerning unfair business practices of a competitor in connection with the conclusion of energy supply contracts with consumers
- Advised various municipal utility companies on corporate, labor and employment, and data protection law
- Provided comprehensive advice to a number of leading developers of wind farms and solar plants
- Represented leading operators and maintenance service providers for wind and solar parks
- Advised and represented manufacturers and distributors of solar modules