Acquiring or selling a company is a significant step for shareholders and for companies – both strategically and financially. Cross-border transactions can be particularly challenging. At SCHIEDERMAIR we see ourselves as “deal makers” – and advise accordingly.
Our transactions practice is a team effort and, depending on the transaction, comprises experts from any of various practice areas, e.g., IT, tax, IP, real estate, labor and employment, etc. Our objective is clear – to successfully complete the deal (if warranted), regardless of whether we are advising a buyer or seller.
Our M&A Partners and Associates advise our clients on all aspects of a transaction. Using the financial terms and purchase price mechanism as a starting point, we draft and negotiate contracts (in both English and German) efficiently using the experience of our various practice areas. We focus on clear and concise wording as experience has shown that simple provisions are less prone to misunderstandings and disputes. In addition to purely legal issues, we keep a constant eye out for tax implications and structuring options.
As to cross-border transactions, we bring not only our international know-how to the table but, to the extent necessary, we also coordinate with lawyers from any number of jurisdictions to bring about an outcome that serves our clients, despite the various legal and cultural differences involved in the transaction.
Finally, target company valuations and the proposed purchase price may not always be in line with the time and effort (and cost) needed to close a deal. We work with our clients (including on the basis of alternative fee structures), to ensure that our fees are transparent, fair, and reasonable.
- Corporate acquisitions and divestitures
- Tax structurings
- Due diligence
- Acquisition of minority holdings
- Joint ventures
- Private equity and venture capital
- Advised a Switzerland-based shareholder on the divestiture of a German GmbH with a subsidiary in Michigan and an affiliated entity in Switzerland
- Advised a Pittsburgh, PA based US private equity fund on the acquisition of a German manufacturing entity
- Advised a German subsidiary of Simpson Manufacturing Inc., (a California-based publicly-held entity in the construction industry) on its sale of assets to a buyer in Finland
- Advise management teams of Universal Investment GmbH in connection with the acquisition of shares by Montagu Private Equity